More than ever, we are seeing an increase of ‘seeds’ onto store shelves, and for good reason. Hemp Hearts (aka raw shelled hemp seeds) in particular, are a complete plant-based protein and offer up 10 grams of omegas per 30 gram serving. They are also low in carbohydrates (only 3 grams of carbs per serving) and can easily be added into everyday meals which makes them a an awesome addition to your diet. Here are a few simple ways to incorporate Hemp Hearts into your diet:
- Sprinkle Hemp Hearts over a slice of toast with peanut butter for a little added crunch.
- Add in Hemp Hearts to your regular smoothie ingredients for a boost of protein and fibre.
- Mix into your morning bowl of oatmeal. That added protein will help keep you feeling fuller longer.
- Sprinkle Hemp Hearts over cereal.
Lunch and Dinner:
- Sprinkle onto your favourite salad in place of croutons.
- Use Hemp Hearts along with other seasonings to coat chicken or fish with then bake in oven.
- Add into homemade black beans burgers. Combine mashed black beans, corn, diced jalapeño, seasonings, hemp seeds, and an egg. Form patties and bake until golden on the outside.
- Hemp Hearts are a great addition to homemade granola. Combine oats, seeds, nuts, unsweetened coconut, and seasonings with coconut oil and a drizzle of honey. Bake in oven until golden brown.
- Top yogurt with Hemp Hearts for that boost of protein.
What is your favourite way to use Hemp Hearts?
Kristen Bourque, RD, LD is a Registered Dietitian and blogger at Swanky Dietitian http://swankydietitian.com